Back to School
News5 has compiled links HERE to check your individual District’s back to school plan.
List of businesses hiring new workers in Colorado
Below is a list of places that have confirmed they are hiring. As we get new businesses, this list will be updated. Albertsons Company, which operates Safeway, announced March 16 it was hiring 1,000 new employees in Colorado, Wyoming, South Dakota, Nebraska and New Mexico. Open jobs include in-store employees, delivery drivers, and distribution center employees. Information on job openings can be found here and here. King Soopers is looking to hire people to help restock shelves, bag groceries, unload truck and more at its stores statewide. They are holding a hiring event in Colorado Springs March 23 and 24. More information can be found here. Hiring information at stores statewide can be found here. Amazon is hiring 100,000 full and part-time workers nationwide at their fulfillment centers and for delivery to help with what they are calling an “unprecedented” need for labor. The company says online sales have surged well beyond what is normal for this time of year. Information on Amazon jobs can be found here. Domino’s Pizza says they are hiring 10,000 workers to meet the huge increase in pizza orders. The chain is looking to hire in stores and factories, including chefs, customer service representatives and managers. Information can be found here. Dollar General is looking to fill up to 50,000 positions nationwide by the end of April. The company says many of the positions will be temporary, but that they do anticipate long-term career growth for some of the new hires. Details about job openings “can be found here. Ace Distribution Center is hiring for regular and seasonal positions. You can apply online by clicking here and then scrolling down and choosing the distribution tab. CVS Health is hiring up to 50,000 workers for full-time, part-time and temporary jobs, including store positions, home delivery drivers, distribution workers and customer service representatives. The company is hoping to fill these positions immediately. Details on applying can be found here. Walgreens is hiring more than 9,500 people for positions including customer service associates, pharmacy technicians and shift leads. The company is hiring for full-time, part-time and temporary positions. Click here for information. Pizza Hut is hiring 30,000 workers nationwide. The company says it’s expanding their workforce to include “contactless” delivery, carryout, and curbside pickup. Click here jobs in your area. USAFA is hiring NAF (Non-Appropriated Funds) positions. Click here to view available jobs, but read the requirements carefully. Windigo Logistics based out of Fountain is looking to hire about 50 employees. Click here to apply and for more information on the company. T&H Services, a subsidiary of Tlingit Haida Tribal Business Corporation, is hiring employees to work from April-September. Pay is $18.55 an hour. Click here to apply and for more information on the company.
Colorado is utilizing a dial framework which standardizes different levels of “openness” at the county level. It is a tool for counties to use to make life during the pandemic more sustainable, allowing us to balance, to the greatest extent possible, controlling the virus with our social and economic needs. CLICK HERE TO CHECK YOUR COUNTY’S STATUS.
IRS STIMULUS CHECKS The IRS deposited the first wave of stimulus payments on 4/11/2020. U.S. residents received the Economic Impact Payment of $1,200 for individual or head of household filers, and $2,400 for married filing jointly CLICK HERE FOR MORE
The Better Business Bureau says some of its offices are getting calls from concerned consumers about a prepaid debit card that arrived in an unmarked envelope stating it was their economic stimulus payment. These payments are legitimate! Nearly four million people will receive an Economic Impact Payment card instead of a check, according to the IRS. The card contains the money sent out by the IRS as a result of the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act (CARES Act). _______________________________________________________________________
UCHealth is now offering antibody tests to anyone in Colorado. The blood-drawn antibody test helps determine if someone has been exposed to or has been sickened from COVID-19 in the past. For anyone interested in getting a COVID-19 antibody test, UCHealth charge is $100. Most insurance carriers will cover the testing costs, although patients are encouraged to check their insurance for coverage details. To order a test, there are two options: Any UCHealth provider can order the tests for their patients. For anyone who isn’t a current UCHealth patient, he or she can create an account through My Health Connection and schedule testing.The test that UCHealth offers is >98% specific, meaning that there are fewer than 1 in 1000 errors. _______________________________________________________________________
NEW TODAY FRIDAY 10/23/2020
- El Paso County now just has one week to develop a COVID-19 mitigation plan or risk having further restrictions imposed by State officials. Yesterday El Paso County Commissioners along with County Public Health officials had a meeting with Governor Jared Polis and the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment to discuss how to reduce the rising number of coronavirus cases. If the plan is not approved by the State, then El Paso County will go from “Safer at Home” level one to level three. This means a lot of businesses like gyms, retail shops, and indoor events will be reduced significantly. The state reported 1,394 cases yesterday, no new cases were reported for Pueblo or El Paso Counties as of 4 p.m. yesterday.
- The Colorado Department of Health and Environment will launch its new mobile app to help track the spread of COVID-19 this weekend. The Exposure Notification system was developed by teams at Apple and Google, with the help of local public health jurisdictions statewide. The service uses push notifications as well as bluetooth to share information. On iPhones it will be a part of the settings and for android users it will be an app. If someone tests positive for COVID-19 they can share the results without sharing personal information. People who come into contact with an infected person would get a push alert letting them know they’ve been exposed.
- The US Food and Drug Administration has approved the first US Covid-19 treatment drug. Remdesivir will be the first drug specifically approved to treat Covid-19. Trials of the antiviral drug have shown it may not have significant benefits for some coronavirus patients, but it’s what we have right now. Meanwhile, a new report from the CDC says the pandemic is causing a shortage in other drugs such as hydroxychloroquine and fentanyl as well as dozens of other acute drugs.
THE COLORADO DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC HEALTH HAS LAUNCHED A NEW WEBSITE (3/18/2020) DEDICATED TO PROVIDING INFORMATION ABOUT THE CORONAVIRUS OUTBREAK. CLICK HERE TO BE DIRECTED TO THAT WEBSITE.
STATE OF COLORADO COVID-19 VOLUNTEER RESPONSE
The state of Colorado are specifically seeking people who can share reliable information, provide virtual support, deliver food, medication, and medical supplies, and help with daily tasks for people who live alone. To volunteer, visit https://covrn.com/.
The Colorado Department of Health and Environment Coronavirus Page School closed? Recommendations for parents What to do if you were exposed to COVID-19 I have symptoms of COVID-19. What should I do? COVID-19 Facts for Coloradans COVID-19 testing (for the public) Resources for local public health agencies and health care providers ______________________________________________________________________________________
Take everyday actions to protect yourself and those you love
- There are effective ways to reduce the risk to yourself and the people you care about.
- Frequently and thoroughly wash your hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water are not available, use hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol.
- Cover coughs and sneezes with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash, or use your inner elbow or sleeve.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Stay home if you’re sick, and keep your children home if they are sick.
- Clean surfaces in your home, and personal items such as cell phones, using regular household products.
- Be calm and prepared.
___________________________________________________________________________________ Up-to-date News on the Coronavirus ___________________________________________________________________________________
RESOURCES, BUSINESSES STILL AVAILABLE TO YOU DURING COVID-19 CLOSURES
- King Soopers is now open from 7 a.m. to 8 p.m. every day, and is now reserving hours for senior citizens to shop. The first shopping hour, 7 a.m. to 8 a.m., every Monday, Wednesday and Friday will be reserved for seniors.
- Target will reserve the first hour of shopping every Wednesday for “vulnerable guests, including the elderly and those with underlying health concerns.” Their hours are 8 a.m. to 9 p.m.
- Walmart stores and Neighborhood Markets will be shifting most stores to a schedule of 7 a.m. to 8:30 p.m. and introducing a new “senior shopping event.” From March 24 through April 28, Walmart stores will host an hour-long senior shopping event every Tuesday for customers aged 60 and older.
- Whole Foods Customers who are 60 and older are invited to shop beginning one hour before the store opens to the general public, and are open from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.
- Trader Joe’s changed its hours 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. to help increase cleaning. They have also suspended all food/beverage samples.
- Costco says they are asking customers to practice social distancing in the store and limiting items for purchase for customers.
- Sam’s Club is encouraging the use of their Scan & Go app to help avoid checkout lines and they are providing hand sanitizer at registers/exits, and announced they’ll now be expanding their dedicated shopping hours for ‘heroes.’ These hero shopping hours currently include Sam’s Club associates. But starting Sunday, April 19, it will expand to welcome healthcare workers and first responders. The hero shopping hours are every Sunday from 8 a.m. to 10 a.m.Sam’s Club also announced they’ll be providing masks to any shopper that enters their store.
- Safeway/Albertsons remains open; their new hours are from 7 a.m. to 8 p.m., and they are reserving the first two hours of operation every Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday to the elderly, pregnant, and those with compromised immune systems to shop. They are also hiring. For more information, click here
- Dollar General is also offering the first hour of operation each day to be for senior citizens only. The company also announced that locations will begin closing an hour earlier to give employees a chance to clean and restock. Hours vary, check their website for details.
The grocery delivery service Shipt is still providing at-home deliveries. They are providing door drop-offs to give the option of no-contact delivery and they are also giving two weeks of financial help to those diagnosed with COVID-19 or placed under quarantine by a health professional. The state has approved a variance request for El Paso County that will allow up to 175 people inside a confined indoor space or 50 percent of the maximum capacity, whichever is less. This includes, gyms, the Indoor Water Park at Great Wolf Lodge, theaters, indoor malls, libraries, restaurants, and much more. Certain outdoor venues can also operate at a capacity up to the lesser of 50 percent occupancy or 250 people. This includes the Manitou Cliff Dwellings, outdoor recreation activities such as paintball, and more. Find the full details on the county website. FIND A FULL LIST OF OPEN RESTAURANTS HERE. ——————————————————————————– If you’re feeling wary about leaving your home, there are still food delivery services operating. Uber Eats is offering to waive delivery fees for independent restaurants in both the U.S. and Canada. During this time, Uber Eats says local restaurants are depending on customer demand to stay afloat. Grubhub is offering no-contact delivery along with DoorDash and Postmates to allow safe distance for both employees and customers. ___________________________________________________________________________
ONLINE DELIVERY THAT WILL STILL BRING YOU FOOD TO YOUR DOOR
- DoorDash — will deliver from several restaurants including Chipolte, Firehouse Tavern, and McDonald’s.
- Postmates — will deliver from several local restaurants as well as chains like Five Guys, Denny’s and Subway.
- Uber Eats — will deliver from Panda Express and Popeye’s, among several others.
- Grub Hub — will deliver from chains like Buffalo Wild Wings, Taco Bell, and Wendy’s.
- EatStreet — works more closely with local restaurants instead of national chains.
- Subway Restaurants are offering a Family Take Out Special. Stop by your local restaurant and get a free Footlong when you buy two. (Additional charges for extras. Free sub of equal/lesser price. At participating restaurants. No additional discount. Not valid on delivery.) Free delivery is also now available through all providers that are applicable to your market. Use promo code: SUBWAYNOW to waive all delivery fees on your next purchase. (Limited time only. Select areas. $0 Delivery fee. Other Services, fees & limitations may apply.) Please check the hours of operations at your local Subway restaurant.
- Dunkin’ Donuts will remain open to serve guests and are within a category of businesses considered essential under the state of Colorado guidelines. As part of Dunkin’s ongoing efforts to help ensure the safety of guests and crew in light of the COVID-19 health crisis, all restaurants are limiting service to drive-thru, carry out, and delivery through delivery partners where available. Dine-in service has been suspended to prevent the congregation of guests. On-the-Go ordering is available through the Dunkin’ app for pickup in-store or at the drive-thru to limit contact. All of the above have different charges per delivery, with some holding specials for a user’s first order. Check the individual websites for more information on charges and delivery locations.
FOOD HELP INFORMATION
Here are the changes the Colorado Department of Motor Vehicles has made in light of COVID-19
What DMV Services can I Complete Online?
- Driver License Renewal
- Vehicle Registration Renewal
- Address Change For Driver License
- Address Change for Vehicle Registration
- Request Driving Record
- Pay a Citation
- Schedule an Appointment
More information can be found at mydmv.colorado.gov or by calling 719-520-6240. _____________________________________________________________________
DON’T GET SCAMMED!
CHILD AND DOMESTIC ABUSE HELP FROM DHS AND TESSA
COVID-19 has closed the physical doors at domestic and child abuse shelters in El Paso County however the Department of Human Services and TESSA want people to know they are open at all times for people who need their help. The number to report child abuse 24/7 is 1-844-CO-4-KIDS. If you are in need of domestic help, TESSA is available 24/7 at 719-633-3819. ________________________________________________________________
DONATE UNOPENED, SEALED MEDICAL SUPPLIES
Here’s how you can donate new, sealed personal protective equipment such as N95 masks, sterile gloves, disposable gowns, goggles and face shields: UChealth accepts items at a donation shed on the south side of the Memorial Administrative Center, 2420 E. Pikes Peak Ave.The office of emergency management is accepting smaller donations from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. Tuesday and Thursday at 3755 Mark Dabling Blvd., and Centura Health will accept donations from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Monday through Friday at a drop box outside Penrose Hospital at 2222 N. Nevada Avenue. ________________________________________________________________
CONNECT DIRECTLY WITH COLORADO BEEF RANCHERS OR CUSTOMERS!
The Colorado Beef Council (CBC) has created an online directory to help connect Colorado farms and ranches that sell beef with consumers who want to buy it. This directory will help educate consumers about beef sourcing and allow them to purchase directly from Colorado producers who sell local and freezer beef. Colorado beef producers wanting to submit their operation for this CBC service can go HERE. The form allows farms and ranches to self-list to the directory. The directory will be housed on the CBC web site at www.cobeef.com. The form for producers is also housed on the site under the Cattlemen’s Corner section. _________________________________________________________
(4/09/2020) FROM THE CDC FOR ESSENTIAL WORKERS The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has issued new guidelines for essential workers, such as those in the health care and food supply industries. The guidance is focused on when those workers can return to work after having been exposed to the new coronavirus.
— Do take your temperature before work. — Do wear a face mask at all times. — Do practice social distancing as work duties permit. — Don’t stay at work if you become sick — Don’t share headsets or objects used near face. — Don’t congregate in the break room or other crowded places. The CDC also issued guidance for employers in essential industries. — Do take employees’ temperature and assess for symptoms prior to their starting work. — Do increase the frequency of cleaning commonly touched surfaces. — Do increase air exchange in the building. — Do send sick workers home immediately. — Do test the use of face masks to ensure they don’t interfere with workflow.